Friday, May 23, 2008

Saturday May 22, 2004


Hi Folks,

WE'RE HOME!!! After 19 days in the hospital, and 16 days post surgery, Andrew was discharged yesterday afternoon. Before he was born the surgeon told us it would be a 3-4 week stay and the neonatologist told us it would be a 6 week stay. Less than 3 weeks later, we are home and Andrew is doing good. His white blood cell count has fallen into the normal range and his bilirubin is slowly coming down, although he still looks kind of yellow.

This will be the last routine update I send out. The feed back I received about these was very uplifting and I am glad you enjoyed receiving them. It was very therapeutic to sit at a computer, process all the information and then write about it. Our family has received many blessings since all this started: prayers, my coworkers vacation hours, babysitting, meals, and financial gifts...as well as things as simple as paper plates and bowls so I wouldn't have to do as many dishes when Chris was on bedrest. I can't begin to thank people individually here but thank-you notes are forthcoming—as well as a birth announcement!

In the Old Testament book of Jeremiah (29:11-13) Jeremiah (speaking for the Lord) says: “ 'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come to pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.' ”
Our pastor referred us to that verse in April when Chris went on bedrest. At that time it had been confirmed that Andrew had Down Syndrome and would need surgery.

Andrew is more that a baby with DS or special needs. He is simply special. I could see where it would be difficult to face not having the 'perfect child' if our hope was not in Christ, but it is. Andrew is the perfect child for us. Perfected in the womb by God's hand. We are thankful for him, no matter what. I can't wait to see how he develops and to introduce him to all of you.

Thanks again for everything,
God Bless,
Duane

No comments: